You have probably eaten or heard of Quinoa before. That delicious grain/seed that is also gluten free and highly nutritious. Usually I eat it with a little salt, pepper, avocado and bay leaf, but I recently came up with this recipe and I love it! Your kids will love it too! Please feel free to share your experience with me :)
Saffron threads give this pilaf a fun and sunny hue.
Makes 4 servings.
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch saffron threads, crushed
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced dried apricots
- 1/4 cup currants or golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Minced zest from 1 orange
- Salt and Pepper
2. Stir in almonds, apricots, currants, oil, lemon juice, and orange zest. Season to taste with salt and pepper.